This is the blog of Dr. Curt Bonk, Professor at Indiana University and President of CourseShare (there are NO Guest Blogs and NO advertisements permitted).

Links
Dr. Bonk's Home Page
TrainingShare
PublicationShare

Bonk's Emerging Learning Technologies course

Video Primers in an Online Repository for e-Teaching and Learning (V-PORTAL)

Click here for information about my recent book, MOOCs and Open Education Around the World.

Bloggers I follow
My reading list
The Price of an 8 Pack of Learning Theory Lectures? Nothing! Just a Lot of Bonk!
Friday, September 12, 2008
I tried something unique this past week for my P540 Learning and Cognition in Education class (i.e., a learning theories class) and posted 8 lectures for it since I am teaching it online. Yes, talking head stuff and not interactive--there were no students with me in the room. I did not bring my normal array of props either (just a few). Still, the content may be of use for some who read this blog.

Five of these video lectures have picture in picture and the other 3 rotate between me and the slides. The room I used here at Indiana University (Room 2140 of the School of Education) has been recently remodeled with a Hi-Def camera, a new computer, and a large screen monitor so I thought I would test it out. The technology support people at IU were quite great as well in helping me set this up and edit it all the same day. IU is a leader in technology support. We have a wonderful campus and infrastructure!

To add a touch of variety, I wore a different shirt (purple, green, red, blue, black, white, etc.) and Jerry Garcia tie in each one to make them look like I filmed them on different days. However, I did these on just 2 days (Friday September 5th and Wednesday the 10th). Most of them are roughly 45 minutes long. I think they came out pretty good considering I had no direct help in the room with me and no audience. Though one of them I had to start over as I had the microphone muted. Fortunately, I found out only 10 minutes in.

Cost of these educational videos = zero, nada, nothing. These are available without a password—so any instructor teaching a course on learning theories or instructional design can use them if he or she wishes. I think that these are all I will do. They are a set.

All 8 lectures I recorded during the past week can be found at the following URL and are also listed below (they cover Weeks 1-8 or 9 of my course; the remaining weeks I do other things so there will be no more lectures or so I think): http://mypage.iu.edu/~cjbonk/September102008.html

All my online lectures, podcasts, talks, and other resource material from this week and prior years related to this course are here: http://mypage.iu.edu/~cjbonk/streamed.html#p

See below for list of eight talks I did this week. They are not slick or anything but they could be a nice course supplement. I am just sharing--I think Open Educational Resources (OER) is one of the trends that will be a key part of educational reform. Feedback can be sent to me (Curt Bonk, Professor, Indiana University) at cjbonk@indiana.edu. If you sleep through them, it is ok; at least you will get some needed rest.

=======================
P540 Week 1:
Recorded September 5, 2008 (30 minutes)
Introduction to Theories of Learning and Instruction and brief info on the course/syllabus
Archive URL: mms://wms.indiana.edu/ip/istream/EDUC-P_540_8832_20080905_4.wmv

P540 Week 2:
Recorded September 5, 2008 (45 minutes)
Behaviorism (Ivan Pavlov, John Watson, and B. F. Skinner with some associated information on with Hermann Ebbinghaus and Edward Thorndike)
Archive URL: mms://wms.indiana.edu/ip/istream/EDUC-P_540_8832_20080905_1.wmv

P540 Week 3:
Recorded September 5, 2008 (45 minutes)
Social Cognitive Theory and Self-Efficacy from Albert Bandura
Archive URL: mms://wms.indiana.edu/ip/istream/EDUC-P_540_8832_20080905_2.wmv

P540 Week 4:
Recorded September 10, 2008 (73 minutes)
Cognitive Information Processing (CIP)
Archive URL: mms://wms.indiana.edu/ip/istream/EDUC-P_540_8832_20080910_4.wmv

P540 Week 5:
Recorded September 10, 2008 (46 minutes)
Motivation and Self-Regulated Learning
Archive URL: mms://wms.indiana.edu/ip/istream/EDUC-P_540_8832_20080910_1.wmv

P540 Week 6:
Recorded September 10, 2008 (42 minutes)
Meaningful Learning and Schema Theory
Archive URL: mms://wms.indiana.edu/ip/istream/EDUC-P_540_8832_20080910_2.wmv

P540 Week 7:
Recorded September 5, 2008 (45 minutes)
Constructivism to Instructivism: Jean Piaget, Lev Vygotsky, Jerome Bruner, and Robert Gagne (as well a practice test of 30+ items comparing cognitive constructivism (i.e., Piaget) and social constructivism (i.e., Lev Vygotksy)
Archive URL: mms://wms.indiana.edu/ip/istream/EDUC-P_540_8832_20080905_3.wmv

P540 Weeks 8-9:
Recorded September 10, 2008 (41 minutes)
Constructivism, Social Constructivism, Learner-Centered Instruction, and PBL
Archive URL: mms://wms.indiana.edu/ip/istream/EDUC-P_540_8832_20080910_3.wmv

In addition to these video lectures, as I stated in my previous blog post, I am using many YouTube videos and other shared online videos for this class. This is the way in which courses will be taught in the future--blending ones own lectures with content found online. Enjoy!
Subscribe to the TravelinEdMan podcast
  posted by Curt Bonk @ 7:29 AM  
10 Comments:
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger MW (My Wish) said…

    How very cool! Did you say that you recorded this last week? Perhaps you should starting composing a new theory called Bonkism, how about that? I will be delighted to co-author among others.

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Damien DeBarra said…

    Superb! Thankyou so much for sharing these.

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger Guohua's Blog said…

    I just watched the clip titled "Cognitive constructivism,..." and enjoyed it tremendously. It gave me a good idea what and how "constructivism" works. THank you, Curt.

     
  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Curt Bonk said…

    Sure thing Lori, Damien, and Guohua. It was time to do these. I felt good when done (my eyes were going when I did them...smile).

    A new theory? Bonkism? Not sure. You will have to convince me and it would have to be part humanistic and also part learning environment and generally eclectic.

     
  • At 5:55 AM, Blogger Burcu Çubukcu Kayitmaz said…

    First of all thank you for sharing your lecture with us-the people around the world-what a great idea! I'm an English Teacher in Turkey and I have started watching your first two lectures and will continue watching all of them.And I'm taking notes but at the same time thinking about your ideas about taking notes:) Thanks again.
    Burcu Çubukcu Kayıtmaz

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Damien DeBarra said…

    Curt,
    have you thought about uploading these to Google video? I'd love to be able to share these with the guys in my office and embedding makes it so much easier.

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I am a student in the above course and had no idea they were done in two days. The videos are an excellent tool for a student and compliment the other interactive tools within the course.
    Patricia

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger Curt Bonk said…

    Hey, Damien, I will think about uploading to Google. Good idea. Thanks for that.

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Blogger sandhaya said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Curt Bonk
Home: Bloomington, Indiana, United States
About Me: I am a former accountant and CPA and a former educational psychologist. I am now Professor of IST at Indiana University and also adjunct in the School of Informatics. I founded and later sold SurveyShare. As president of CourseShare, LLC, I run around the world training instructors to teach online and give motivational talks about emerging learning technologies. I also write and edit books related to e-learning and blended learning. See bio and vita.

See my complete profile

Click here for information about my recent book, The World is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education.

Visit the Indiana University Home Page of E-Learning Expert Curtis J. Bonk.

Recent Posts
Archives
Popular Posts
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER